Typical recipes of Gambian food for COOKING LOVERS!
It is such an honor for me to have the chance to taste Gambian food at Zum Saar Restaurant. It was so good !!! I swear.
You can also do it yourself. Because I found they are super duper easy to make them at home. So I brought us some recipes which are being qualified by our Gambian team mates.
However, if you want to have experience of tasting the authentic dishes, they are available at Zum Saar restaurant for you as always.
- Yassa originates from Senegal but is very much apart of the Gambian cuisine experience. It can be prepared with fish or chicken and served with white rice or couscous and vegetable on the side.
Ingredients: serves 4-6 people
- Chicken cut into serving sized pieces marinated overnight
in chili pepper, cayenne pepper, or red pepper, black people, salt
- 3 Onions,1 small cabbage, 2 carrots cut into small pieces
- 8 tbs lemon juice, 2 tbs mustard
- 4 cloves minced garlic, 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup peanut oil, 1 tbs soy sauce or Maggi cube
2. Domoda is a peanut butter based dish which has a creamy texture, it can be cooked with either fish, chicken or meat, filled with an assortment of preferred vegetables and spices, and later on served over a bed of white rice or couscous.
Ingredients: serves 2 people
- 500 gram of beef / chicken/ fish marinated overnight in salt, pepper, jumbo, etc.
- 2 cups of peanut butter ,1 litre of water
- 5 tbs of tomato paste
- 1 onion, 2 fresh tomatoes cut up, 2 gloves of garlic
Yes. That’s it. Such easy cheesy recipes!